Friday 24 June 2011

Decisions, decisions!!! - Dee

Dee
Well here I am in my mid 30s about to embark on a quest to straighten my teeth! You would think that by my age I should have got used to living with what I was given but the truth is I have always hated my teeth. I hate smiling and I especially hate looking at photos of myself as all I can see is my crooked teeth. Like Anna people always say that they have never noticed but I know for a fact that they have. Maybe they have just got used to looking at me with crooked teeth!! Maybe I'm paranoid, who knows!!
Anyway, over the years I have thought many times about getting a brace but it is only recently that more options for adults have become available. About 18 months ago I visited a couple of dentists as I had heard about invisalign and thought it would be perfect for me as this brace is not really visible. However I was told by one dentist that my teeth were too severe for this treatment and that I should either consider full orthodontist treatment i.e. train tracks or veneers which I personally thought was a ploy to make me spend thousands and thousands of pounds!!!
I found a local cosmetic dentist that recommended either 6 month smiles or invisalign and I eventually decided upon 6 month smiles for similar reasons to Anna. Also the fact that they cost half the price and are more effective in less amount of time was a major factor in my decision making.
Now as I have already mentioned I may be a little paranoid but another factor I feel I need to mention at this stage is that I have a major phobia of the dentist which is why I have never persued this treatment before because to be honest I have been blatantly too scared. When I had two of my wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic 12 years ago I was so hysterical that I had to be sedated in order for the theatre staff to make me leave the ward!!! Anyhow I think you get the picture!!!
So anyway I have decided to take the plunge after a friend of mine had just completed treatment with invisalign and to be honest her teeth look amazing, it gave me the push I needed to muster all my strength and courage and just go for it. I am currently awaiting my lovely new braces to be sent from America so that they can be fitted and don't mind admitting that I am a little excited and also jealous of Anna that she has already started her journey. I haven't actually seen her new braces in the flesh yet so may still change my mind!!!
I had my impressions taken this week which was completely painless but did make me worry that the weird drippy putty stuff the dentist used was gonna drip down my throat and congeal blocking my airway. This obviously didn't happen and was just my neurosis shining through again  but it did feel kinda bizarre and took about an hour as my dentist took four impressions in total, two from the top and two from the bottom in order to check my bite. Unlike Anna I am only having braces fitted to my top teeth as I am happy with my bottom ones. I have very twisted teeth from overcrowding and a snaggle tooth to put Nanny McPhee to shame so am ever hopeful that all this aggravation (and piss taking at work) will be worth it in the end.
Dee x


Now you can see what I'm talking about!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment