Wednesday 22 June 2011

The beginning for Anna!

 So, when you decide you want braces in your 30's-you search the entire Internet to see how invisible braces can be! How much they cost! And then, to see just how many adults have also taken the plunge! You realise there are A LOT of people who are unhappy with their teeth too!! However, what you can't find, is a blog, by a brace wearer, who doesn't seem to be advertising a certain orthodontist or practice!So, here we are!!
2 work colleagues who, via facebook, have just realised they're taking the plunge at the same time-but can't really find any one else's story-especially in the UK! OK, so maybe no one will find this and read it?!! Maybe they will! Maybe it's just a place we can moan about brace related stuff!! But, we thought we'd document our stories and pictures anyway!! We're nothing to do with the dental world and are both having treatment at different practices!
We're both female and in our 30's and will record our progress individually
Anna:
I wore the removable braces as a teen and I wasn't given retainers. Since my early 20's my teeth have been on the move-the longer I've left it, the worse they've gotten. Now in my early 30's I have a 'snaggle' tooth, a few wonky and twisted teeth, some crowding and some gaps which shouldn't be there!
The people I've told about the braces have all said they don't see anything wrong with my teeth-but I do and I think they're just being kind! So, I made an appointment with a local orthodontist to enquire about Invisalign. I didn't feel he was the right orthodontist for me so, I went out of town a bit and found a great one (I hope).  This orthodontist asked me to consider 3 types before I made a decision. For me: these were the pro's and con's he laid out for each:
Invisalign:
Pro's: Invisible. Can be removed for special occasions
Con's: no eating with them in, no drinking coloured or fizzy drinks with them in. Decay reported by wearers as teeth covered by device most of the time and saliva can't bathe teeth as it should. Would take 18 months to complete. Not always effective moving twisted teeth. Expensive
Inman Alligner: 
Pro's: Almost invisible.  Can be removed for special occasions. Can move twisted teeth.
Con's:no eating with them in, no drinking coloured or fizzy drinks with them in. Affects speech. Would take 12-18 months to complete
6 month smile.
Pro's: White fixtures.  Would only take 4 months for bottom teeth. 5-6 for the top Doesn't effect speech..Can move twisted teeth. Cheapest option.
Con's: Visible. Can't take them out-ever. white wires/clear brackets can be stained by food (curry etc).

So, I discounted Invisalign immediately as I didn't want to harm my teeth.  So I was left with the 2 that would be visible.  1 took longer, affects speech, was less visible and could be removed! The other visible, quick and couldn't be removed but doesn't affect speech. I decided that if they're a bit visible-I may as well have obvious ones so people didn't ask what was in my mouth!! I also decided that, for me, being able to remove them, may be a bad thing!! I can guarantee I'd take them out for a night out, going out for dinner, special occasions, when I didn't feel well......etc etc....any excuse!! I also asked the orthodontist which ones he thought would be best for my teeth and he said 6 month smile would give me the best result!

So 6 month smile it is!!
 I had to pay for the initial appointment, but once I sign on the line-it will be deducted from the total-which is £3, 500 including all appointments and tooth whitening at the end!
Once you've decided on the type, you need to see the hygienist (on top of the amount above) to get your gums in the best, possible health, if they're not already! I only see the hygienist once per year at my normal dentist-apparently it should be every 3-6 months!! So I had 2 visits to the hygienist for de-scaling with brushing and flossing lessons thrown in!! Why had no one ever shown me those little flossing gadgets before!! Crest Glide!! Takes about 2 minutes to do all the teeth, instead of the 10 it used to take me when I, sporadically, used the traditional stuff!
After that, back to see the orthodontist to have the impressions taken!! I have to say, I wasn't really looking forward to that part-I remember trying not to gag whilst they squeezed a plate full of putty in my mouth as a teenager, and held it there for all eternity!! But it was fine!! A small plate, with menthol flavoured putty-in for less than 30 seconds-job done!! And off I went! For 6 month smile, the impressions are sent off to America where they make your brackets and take up to 3 weeks to return.  Mine were back in less than that, and so D day is the day after tomorrow on Friday, where I'm booked for an hours appointment! As I understand it, my teeth will be covered with glue, then a plate (like the ones which took the impressions) with the brackets attached,will be placed over my teeth and heated! Then they 'snap' the plate off, leaving the brackets on my teeth!Joy!!

I have tried taking pictures of my teeth-but it's pretty difficult-but the black and white ones came out OK without the flash-so that's what I'll post-when I can figure out how to! Wish me luck!!
Anna                                   


                                                                                                         
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment